Voters in Washington will cast ballots Tuesday (May 4) for candidates running — all of them unopposed, all but one incumbent — for five seats on the Town Council and the positions of mayor and treasurer (each of whom also serves on the council).
• John Sullivan, currently a member of the Town Council, is running unopposed.
Running unopposed are:
• Incumbent Mayor Eugene Leggett, stepping down from that post to serve on the council;
• Mary Ann Kuhn, Middleton Inn owner, former editor of the Rappahannock News and former member of the town’s Planning Commission;
• Incumbent Patrick O’Connell, owner and chef of the Inn at Little Washington, seeking election to the seat to which he was appointed last November after Jeff Benson resigned;
• Incumbent Gary Schwartz, seeking his first full term after his appointment last April to fill the seat held by the late Claudia Mitchell, and
• Incumbent Alice Butler, seeking her fourth term on the council.
• Incumbent Councilman and Treasurer J. R. “Jerry” Goebel Jr., seeking his third term.
Polls are open 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday (May 4) at the Washington Fire Hall. Saturday (May 1) is the last day to submit absentee ballots at the Rappahannock County Registrar’s office, which is open 9 to 5 that day.