Total loss

Photo by Cody Dodson

The damage is clear in this photo of one of the rear rooms of the house on Woodward Road in Sperryville that was destroyed in a fire early Saturday. The 100-year-old frame house belongs to longtime Rappahannock restaurant and market owner Rae Gaedke, who is in Florida looking after her mother. Gaedke’s daughter Stevie was out of the house when the fire started before midnight Friday, authorities said, and was uninjured, although a family dog perished in the blaze. Sperryville Volunteer Fire Company chief Richie Burke said the fire clearly started at an electrical panel in the rear of the house; his company, assisted by squads from Washington, Castleton and Flint Hill, spent nearly five hours fully extinguishing the fire.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Staff/Contributed
About Staff/Contributed 4274 Articles
The Rappahannock News welcomes contributions from any and all members of the community. Email news and photos to editor@rappnews.com or call us at 540-675-3338.