• On Monday, Aug. 2 the Rappahannock County Board of Supervisors will hold a 2 p.m. session and convene again at 7 p.m. for a public hearing. Both meetings will be at the Rappahannock County courthouse on Gay Street. Highlights on the agenda include: Resolution: Paul A. Poling; James G. Marangoni; drought disaster report from Kenner Love, Virginia Cooperative Extension; stadium lights payment, RCSSA-Musco; economic recovery advisory committee; resolution of support, Richmond Road/729 bridge replacement/road closure; design of Sperryville bridge replacement and road closure. Closed session: A discussion with counsel of potential litigation re: Aileen property. At the 7 p.m. meeting: Hazel scenic river proposal (public hearing ended); Smith & Moon Country Inn.
• On Thursday, Aug. 5 the Rappahannock County Water and Sewer Authority will meet at 7:30 p.m. at the Rappahannock County courthouse on Gay Street.
• Rappahannock County High School athletes: Practices and tryouts begin Monday, Aug. 2 as follows:
Varsity and JV football practice for all players in grades 8 through 12 meet in the football locker room at 6:30 a.m. Practice will start at 7 and will end by 1. Please bring water, Gatorade and healthy snacks.
Varsity and JV volleyball tryouts begin at the Auxiliary Gym for players in grades 8 through 12. Players should meet at 7:45 a.m. for practice from 8 to 11:30. Please bring water, Gatorade and healthy snacks.
Varsity and JV cross country practice is 8:30 to 10; meet at the high school. Coach Sharpe will provide the rest of the week’s schedule on Monday.
All athletes trying out for varsity and junior varsity athletics need a physical. For more information: rappahannockathletics.org.
• The summer reading program at the Rappahannock County Library ends on Friday, Aug. 6. It’s the last day to hand in or postmark your last summer reading log. For more information call 540-675-3780.
• The Culpeper Soil and Water Conservation District is seeking input from constituents, stakeholders and agency partners to develop the next strategic plan. See the Web site at culpeper.vaswcd.org and click on the tab for Strategic Planning. There are links to several supporting documents and a link to a six-question survey on Survey Monkey. Public input is greatly appreciated.
• Rappahannock Athletic Association/Rappahannock-Culpeper Baseball (RAA/RCB) fall baseball registration is now open online. All practices are at Stuart Field in Amissville. All children ages 4 to 15 (as of May 1, 2011) are eligible to participate. The child’s birth certificate should be uploaded for new registrants to RAA/RCB Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth Baseball. The league Web site is rappculpbaseball.com and the phone number is 540-937-7900; league e-mail is email@example.com. Registration fees are located on the home page along with the fall schedule information.
• Chester Gap Volunteer Fire and Rescue is looking for men and women to join the fire department. No experience is needed, training provided. Company 9 is in need of people who want to serve their community by helping with fundraisers, running calls, assisting the public and more. Call Stephanie Crawford at 540-635-5091 for more information. To pick up an application, see one of your fellow Chester Gap Fire Department members or pick up an application at The Chester Gap Store. Monthly meetings held on the first Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m.
• Warrenton Wolfpack Club is looking for U13 players for its youth rugby and football travel teams. Football practice begins next week and rugby teams will start in September. Sponsorship is available for players who are interested in joining the Wolfpack program and in need of financial assistance. The Wolfpack football program was 6-2 last season and placed second in the state championships. The Wolfpack rugby teams were successful in the summer season with a U13 New Jersey championship and a North Carolina runner’s up trophy.
For more information contact Greg Hicks at 540-359-0933 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit warrentonwolfpack.com.
• The 14U Culpeper Cardinal Travel Baseball Team will be holding tryouts on Saturday, July 31 and Sunday, Aug. 1 starting at 4 p.m. at the Culpeper Sports Complex. The Cardinals are affiliated with USSSA and Nations baseball and will compete in several travel tournaments starting this fall. Players wishing to try out must not have a 15h birthday before May, 1 2011. Contact head coach Kenny Jackson at 540-547-9099 or search the team’s name on www.teamopolis.com for more information.
• Singers from Rappahannock County are sought for the Blue Ridge Chorale’s fall season. Rehearsals are held on Monday evenings at St. Luke’s Lutheran Church, 1200 Old Rixeyville Road, Culpeper. Call 540-948-4573 for more information.
• Rapidan Better Housing is accepting applications for its Indoor Plumbing/Repair program assistance. The IPR program provides zero-percent interest loans and grants to homeowners whose homes lack modern indoor plumbing or have a well or drainfield that’s failed. The program provides financial assistance and complete project management from start to finish. Rapidan Better Housing is a service organization that provides loans and grants to qualifying homeowners to pay for major housing repairs. Call 540-948-3274 and ask for an IPR program application.