Photos/postcards were a gift of the late Ruby Green to the Rappahannock Historical Society.
Earl Wayland first ran Bel Air Restaurant on U.S. 211 in Amissville, a popular dance hall, bar and restaurant. It was then taken over by Mary Hall in 1947, who turned it into Bel Air Tourist Cabins. Some locals fondly called it the “Beer Joint,” as it was a popular place to drink when the blue laws went into effect in Culpeper County. It closed in the early 1970s when Mary Hall passed away. It was then sold to Robert Bowers, who operated a gun shop here, which burned. Mayhugh’s, a general store and gas station, has occupied the site since July 1986.