Fire at Sperryville School House

| Rappahannock News

Fire and rescue companies from around the county responded early Thursday morning to a fire at the Sperryville School House (formerly the Link), reported by a passerby sometime before 5 a.m. By 10 a.m., when this photo was taken, Sperryville Volunteer Fire Company chief Richie Burke (speaking into a radio atop the ladder) and other members of the squad were continuing to tear into the wall at the top of the School House gym/auditorium to insure the smoldering ceiling fire was out. Burke and owner Cliff Miller said a heating system malfunction appeared to be the cause. No estimates of damage were available Thursday. Though the smell of smoke persisted for much of the day, the schoolhouse adjacent to the gym — which houses offices and retail, and has its own separate heating and air-conditioning systems — appeared to be undamaged.

| Rappahannock News
More photos here.

Roger Piantadosi
About Roger Piantadosi 539 Articles
Former Rappahannock News editor Roger Piantadosi is a writer and works on web and video projects for Rappahannock Media and his own Synergist Media company. Before joining the News in 2009, he was a staff writer, editor and web developer at The Washington Post for almost 30 years.