Rapp Sports’ 2014 spring season is finally in the record books, but preparations are well underway for the coming fall programs, with a plethora of open gyms and conditioning programs filling up our calendar.
First on the list: Today (Thursday June 19) is the last day for the $10 sports physicals, offered from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at the Medical Center in Washington. Remember, all student athletes must have a current year physical to participate in any RCPS sports programs — J.P., J.V. or varsity.
The summer conditioning and open gym programs got off to a great start this week, with more than 30 Panthers showing up for volleyball, football and weight training. Current offerings include:
• Volleyball open gyms from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the high school gym. (Open to all levels of volleyball players.)
• Open weights from 6 to 7 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday high school weight room. All Rapp athletes are encouraged to attend; three attendants (including one female former Panther) ensure that you will get personal attention to help develop your own weight program.
• Boys’ basketball open gym from 7 to 9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays in the high school gym. (Open to all levels of basketball players.)
• Football conditioning and mini-camp for J.P. and varsity wraps up this week (7 to 9 tonight and tomorrow) with a varsity-only minicamp being offered next week from 7 to 10 p.m. each evening, followed by a J.P. football camp beginning July 14. Visit rappahannockathletics.org (under “announcements”) for more details.
• The Challenger Soccer Camp, sponsored by Rappahannock County School Sports Association (our Rappahannock Sports Boosters), returns starting July 14, from 9 a.m. to noon each day, on the practice fields behind the softball field.
More camps and open gyms are sure to be offered — a girls’ basketball camp in in the works and our cross country coaches are planning some group running sessions — so stay in touch with Rapp Athletics on our website.
The June and July athletic schedule is on the website (under files and links) and is constantly being updated with new activities and additions. Visit us today and sign up for the all important email alerts so you will get the news as it happens.
— Jimmy Swindler