Down Memory Lane for June 16

Photo courtesy Marilyn Bailey, WashingtonCourtesy of Marilyn Bailey

THE 1950s: The District of Columbia Division of the American Automobile Association recently paid honor to 13 Northern Virginia garage and service station operators who have been affiliated with the motoring organization emergency road service program for from 10 to 28 years. Among the businessmen presented plaques of recognition and gratitude for service to AAA Members in Northern Virginia through all sorts of weather, day and night over the years, was L.V. Merrill (shown here on the right; that’s Paul Miller on the left) of Merrill Motor Company of Washington, Virginia, whose establishment has been AAA-bonded since 1948. [This building, at Main and Middle streets, nowadays houses the Country Cafe and Washington Post Office.]

Oct. 5, 1950

Mrs. P. Lee Thornton is commuting daily to Warrenton where she is serving on a temporary appointment as public health nurse in Fauquier County. Mrs. Thornton did public welfare work in Rappahannock county during the summer of 1949 and taught at Woodville school from January 1949 to June 1950.

Mrs. Thornton is the granddaughter of two of the county’s well-loved old-time “family” doctors, Dr. G. H. Brown and Dr. W. J. Smith. Mrs. Thornton was married to P. Lee Thornton Jr., Feb. 22, 1941, and they have one son, Philip Lee III. Plans for the opening of the office for the Public Health Nurse in Rappahannock County are now set for January 1, 1951, but the plans are not definite at this time.

Interesting newcomers to Rappahannock County are Mr and Mrs. Leon T. Greenaway, who recently purchased the Silas Bruce farm on the Lee Highway between between Sperryville and Washington. The sale was made through W. E. Hening, broker, of Sperryville. The Greenaways have taken possession of the property and are making extensive repairs and alterations preparatory to moving in and establishing a farm management service for beef and dairy cattle farms as well as caring for horses.

The property, formerly home of Colonel Gibson and known as “Willis Hill,” consists of 310 acres, a 10-room house and numerous outbuildings. The Greenaways are changing the name to “Leeway.”

American Legion Auxiliary Post No. 245 which was organized in 1947 at Sperryville, appointed a Plaque Committee to meet with the Board of Supervisors and this committee was granted permission to place a plaque in the courthouse at Washington, in memory of the women and men of Rappahannock who served in World Wars I and II. Judge J. R. H. Alexander has stated that he is very much in favor of the plaque being placed at the courthouse and has offered to do anything he can to help in this project.

Nov. 30, 1961

Over 3,200 acres of land, consisting of seven farms, have been purchased by Mr. and Mrs. William N. Lane of Lake Forest, Illinois. This is the one of the largest transactions of its kind in the area.

Mountain View, Located near Woodville and owned by Mrs. Earl Combs and her stepson, Earl, of New York, was the first farm bought by the Lanes. It contained 1,227 acres and its sale was made by Browning Real Estate Agency. Other farms purchased by the Lanes were those of C.M. Spitler, K.H. Quasebarth, Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Gatley; Eldon, the home of the late Robert E. Miller; Shingle Shanty, owned by Mrs. Cary Miller Reynolds Hall. Mr. W. A. Miller, realtor of Washington, cooperated with the Browning agency in the sale of Eldon and Mrs. Hall’s place. Mr. Miller also sold the Lanes the 450-acre farm of J. Rodes Brown.

Capt. Joseph Botts first owned Mountain View and the last of the family living there were Mr. and Mrs. Lewis R. Browning. It was then purchased by Mr. and Mrs. R.G. Quaintance, who sold it to the Combses. Robert E. Miller built the dwelling on Eldon, which was last occupied by Mr. Miller’s daughter, the late Mrs. Cabell Woodward. Mrs. Hall, also Mr. Miller’s daughter, built Shingle Shanty in more recent years. She is now living at the Lee Highway Hotel in Sperryville.

Three hunters have bagged bear in Rappahannock since the opening of the hunting season. Checked at Johnson’s Esso station was a 400-pound bear killed by William Garfield Jenkins, Sperryville; a 300 pounder, by John Marshall Clark Jr. of Washington; and a bear weighing 153 pounds, by Charles Atkins of Sperryville.

Jenkins and his brother, Russell, left home about 7:30 in the morning to go hunting. They stopped to rest when the heard the bear approaching. With his 30-30 rifle he shot the animal once in the shoulder and again in the stomach, then cut its throat. Using their belts, they dragged the bruin as far as they could, until the belts wore out, then got a tractor to finish the task

John Marshall Clark, Jr., who is a 17-year-old student at Rappahannock High School, killed his bear in the woods above his home in Harris Hollow. Charles Atkins was hunting in the orchard on the farm of C. H. Estes, Sperryville, when he got his bear.


Print Friendly

Share this post