Clark Hollow Ramblings: Safely home and the straight line windstorm

I hope the derecho didn’t treat you too badly. It pushed my favorite apple tree over and blew off a shingle or two, but otherwise we fared pretty well. With a strong rope and the bucket on my tractor I have the apple tree standing up straight again. So far, the leaves haven’t wilted, so I’m taking that as a sign it might recover. I felt bad for those people who lost power for an extended time. Most of us can no longer go out to the pump on the back porch and work the handle up and down a few times and get some fresh well water.

Bob Day and I were on our way back from Canada on the Saturday after the storm and coming down through Pennsylvania, decided to call home and tell the ladies we might be home a day early. When Bob could get no answer at his house, and his answering machine wouldn’t pick up, we started to wonder what was going on. Where we had been, there were no radios or TVs, and, generally, that’s a good thing. So, we called my house, and Linda filled us in on the storm. We were completely caught by surprise.

We had a good week in the bush country. Had fish for dinner four nights and venison two; we didn’t spend a lot of money on food. But, oh, the sweltering heat. It was in the 60s and 70s every day, but we managed to get through. At least we had a good week up until we started home. Left Three Bears Camp in Shining Tree, Ontario, about 6 a.m., hoping to get through Toronto and back into the states a little early. We did okay with Toronto, but we hadn’t figured on Canada Day, July 1, and our July 4th holiday having the impact it did on traffic.

Suffice it to say, we sat in the truck for two and a half hours trying to get across Peace Bridge and through Customs. As a brother of mine said one time when they asked him if he had anything to declare when he came through customs, I said, “I declare I’m glad to be back in the United States.”

The raised bed garden fared reasonably well in the storm. Our tomato plants, that are about six feet tall and in cages, got jostled about some, and it flattened my sweet corn. I was able to get the cages straightened up. The tomato plants are so big, a mockingbird decided to build his nest in one next to the garden gate. I had to discourage him a bit. There were no eggs in the nest yet, and he wouldn’t let Linda through the gate. But, all’s well that ends well. No harm, no foul. And my corn has straightened itself reasonably well.

With the cooler temperatures and the rain on Sunday night, we had a fish fry from some of the fillets we brought back. It made me think I was still in Shining Tree, looking out over the lake, while the yellow grosbeaks flitted about the scrub pines. It’s good to be back, though. Stay well.

Richard Brady
About Richard Brady 151 Articles
Richard Brady was born and raised within sight of Rappahannock Peak, as was his father, grandfather, great-grandfather, great-great-grandfather, etc. He graduated from George Mason University and was employed for 35 years with various agencies of the federal government. He retired in 2001, and he and his wife, Linda, live in Flint Hill, Va.