Congratulations to Rappahannock County High School track athlete Julia Wood, who is the VHSL Group A State Champion in the 1600-meter (one-mile) track event.
Julia won her title on Saturday, June 1 at the state track meet in Radford, where she also placed third in the 3200-meter (two-mile) track event, bringing home two hard-earned medals in one day. Julia is still training, hoping for similar performances in the upcoming National Races to be held in a few weeks. Congrats to her and her coaches and teammates, and good luck to her in her future races.
RCHS Athletics hosted a volleyball camp on June 5 and 6, led by JMU Division 1 volleyball coach Lauren Steinbrecher, who was accompanied by two of her team players. More than 15 volleyball players attended the camp along with Rapp’s JV and varsity volleyball coaches and all benefited from the skills and techniques learned.
Summer workouts are in session at RCHS, 5:30 to 7 p.m. every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday at the high school weight room. In the first week, just concluded, more than 20 Rapp student athletes were in attendance each night. All Rapp student athletes are welcome to attend these coach-led workouts, preparing for that first day of fall sports practices – which will be here Aug. 5.
Other events this summer in Rapp Athletics include:
• Junior Panther boys basketball open gyms Mondays and Wednesdays from 7 to 9 p.m. at Rappahannock County Elementary School auxiliary gym.
• JP, JV and varsity volleyball open gyms on June 13, 26 and July 26 from 6 to 8 p.m. at RCHS gym.
• School sports physicals ($10) on June 13 and June 27 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at the Rappahannock Medical Center.
• Rapp Challenger Soccer Camp at the RCES practice field the week of July 15.
• A Thousand Shots girls basketball clinic Sundays at the elementary school auxiliary gym from 2 to 4 p.m.
• Boys basketball camp (JP and JV/varsity) at the elementary school auxiliary gym the week of July 29.
Be sure to visit the Rapp Athletics website at www.rappahannockathletics.org for details on all these events and more sure to come. Sign up on the website to get email alerts so you will get all the Rapp sports news when it happens.
– Jimmy Swindler, RCHS athletic director