Four plead guilty to drug, driving, other offenses

Four defendants entered guilty pleas — and two were subsequently sentenced — to a variety of drug, driving and property-destruction charges last Thursday (Sept. 5) in Rappahannock County Circuit Court.

Sperryville resident Tracy Marie Fincham, indicted by a grand jury in May, pleaded guilty to one charge of grand larceny in connection with firearms stolen from her then-employer Randy Revercomb of Sperryville.

Summarizing evidence for the court, Commonwealth’s Attorney Art Goff said that between Feb. 24 and March 3, 2013, the 26-year-old Fincham stole six firearms (four revolvers, one Winchester rifle and one .30-06 rifle) from Revercomb’s gun cabinet.

Goff said Fincham “threw herself on [Revercomb’s] mercy” shortly after the theft was discovered, returning all six weapons, cooperating fully with the Rappahannock County Sheriff’s Office and admitting she stole the guns intending to sell them to help pay the rent that she and her boyfriend had fallen behind on. Her sentencing date is Nov. 26.

Miguel Zamudio, 42, of Castleton, entered an Alford plea to one charge of manufacturing marijuana, the plea indicating that the defendant admits enough evidence exists to likely convict him without admitting his guilt.

Goff said that deputies from Rappahannock and Prince William County searched Zamudio’s house on Aug. 5, 2012 looking for his stepson, 23-year-old Davis Winfield Eisenmann, who was wanted in connection with a pharmacy robbery in Prince William County. Eisenmann is due for sentencing on Sept. 24.

During the search, Goff said authorities discovered a false door in the basement, which led to a marijuana growing station with 21 plants, each roughly two feet high. Goff said Zamudio cooperated fully with the RCSO afterward, admitting he gave the seeds to Eisenmann and intended to grow the plants and use the marijuana with his family.

Zamudio was released on a $10,000 secured bond, and is scheduled to be sentenced on Nov. 26.

Washington resident Jobe Millard Wood pleaded guilty to one charge of driving under the influence (DUI), his third offense within five years. Originally that charge was a felony, but as part of a plea agreement it was demoted to a misdemeanor.

Goff said that RCSO Deputy Charles Baker observed Wood pull out of the Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill on Feb. 9, after which he nearly ran off the right side of the road. Wood then pulled into the Flint Hill Public House, Goff said, where Baker promptly approached him. Goff said Wood, who had a “strong odor of alcohol” and slurred speech, admitted he’d had two mixed drinks at the bar prior to driving. Wood was subsequently arrested and charged with DUI.

“I greatly appreciate all the work the Commonwealth has done,” said Wood in a brief pre-sentencing statement. “I know how much I screwed up.”

“You dodged a real bullet here, Mr. Wood,” began Judge Jeffrey W. Parker. “This court has no patience for repeat offenders. I have no problem locking up people who can’t seem to not drink and drive.”

Parker then agreed to Goff’s recommendation and sentenced Wood to 12 months in jail (with four months suspended), placed him on two years of supervised probation, suspended his license for three years (though he can apply for a permit after only one) and fined him $1,000.

As part of his probation, Wood must remain alcohol-free, attend monthly Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and complete the Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP) program. Wood was subsequently remanded into RCSO custody.

A restitution amount of more than $2,000 was set in the case of 20-year-old Rixeyville resident Walter William Taylor, who was charged with one count of destruction of property. In documents filed at district court, police said Taylor, accompanied in a Ford F-150 pickup by three juveniles, chased a vehicle driven by Joseph Wenk Jr., after Wenk arrived at a home on Richmond Road to pick up two 17-year-old female friends. Police said Taylor, with his companions, also verbally threatened Wenk before the two girls got in his vehicle.

Wenk told investigators, according to the documents, that Taylor then pulled alongside his vehicle in a no-passing zone and swerved twice to smash into its side, almost causing Wenk to lose control, and doing more than $1,000 in damage.

“I had some real concerns with this case,” Parker began, “especially the way you used that vehicle — very troubling.”

Parker then sentenced Taylor to two years in jail (all suspended) and placed him on two years of probation (one year supervised). As part of his probation, Parker also ordered that Taylor attend anger management and restorative justice programs. Taylor must also pay $2,147 in restitution.

Albert Wayne Gatewood pleaded guilty to driving without a license. Gatewood was also charged with driving on a suspended license on Nov. 6, 1999 and Oct. 31, 2005; those previous two charges made this third instance a habitual offense.

Goff said that RCSO Deputy Christopher Koglin observed the 52-year-old Gatewood pull out of the Quicke Mart on U.S. 211 on Feb. 25 driving a silver Honda “with an exceptionally loud exhaust.” Koglin pulled the car over and discovered Gatewood’s previous offenses. His sentencing hearing is Nov. 26.

Monday afternoon (Sept. 9) Woodbridge resident Paul Alexander White, 27, was sentenced after pleading guilty on June 27 to one count of possession with the intent to distribute (marijuana).

White, whom Goff noted has cooperated with authorities, has been in jail since June 19. Parker sentenced him to two years (22 months suspended), placed him on two years of supervised probation and suspended his license for six months. White received credit for time served and was released from custody.

Grand jury indictments

Five people were indicted on 17 felonies by a grand jury convened Monday afternoon (Sept. 9).

Amissville resident Thomas Roy Berry, 42, was indicted on five counts of aggravated sexual battery against a child under 13 and four counts of exposing himself to a minor under 15. His case was continued to Sept. 24.

Jeremy Dylan Newcamp, 18, of Castleton, was indicted on one count each of breaking and entering, grand larceny and entering a structure with the intent to commit larceny, as well as two counts of unlawfully possessing a firearm. His case was continued to Sept. 24.

Chris Adam Foster, 42, of Chester Gap, was indicted on count of unlawfully entering school-related or sponsored activities after being previously convicted of a sexually violent offense. His case was continued to Sept. 24.

Washington resident Rocky Lee Pullen was indicted on one count of unlawfully using a motor vehicle without owner Roy Lee Pullen’s consent. His case was also continued to Sept. 24.

Lastly, 26-year-old Stephens City resident Cory Carlton Summers was indicted on one count of eluding police. His case was continued to Oct. 17.


Christopher Marc Horan, 25, of McLean, was arrested by Deputy Christopher Koglin as a result of a traffic stop on U.S. 522 on Aug. 31. Horan was charged with a misdemeanor count of DUI.

The next day (Sept. 1), Deputy R. Settle charged 41-year-old Washington resident Nathan R. Burke with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. Burke was charged as the result of a traffic stop on Zachary Taylor Highway near Lee Highway.

Culpeper fatality leads to charge

An 84-year-old Culpeper County man stands charged with making an improper lane change causing an accident last Thursday (Aug. 29) that killed a 47-year-old Pennsylvanian motorcycle rider.

Culpeper police charged Oscar Dodson Jr. late Wednesday afternoon (Sept. 4), releasing him on traffic summons. Dodson, whose physical address is in Culpeper County, has a Sperryville mailing address.

The crash, which claimed the life of James Morrison, an off duty University of Pennsylvania police officer from Philadelphia, happened around 12:30 p.m., Aug. 29, at the intersection of Madison Road and Oaklawn Drive.

Morrison and about seven other Blue Knight motorcycle riders were headed south on Madison Road when a 2008 Ford pickup operated by Dodson allegedly pulled onto Madison Road from Oaklawn Drive. The pickup truck then allegedly crossed over the right lane and attempted to turn into southbound lane closest to the median.

Morrison, who was in the left lane, attempted to brake and lost control of his 2005 Harley Davidson, and was ejected from the motorcycle. Rescue personnel transported Morrison to nearby Culpeper Regional Hospital, where he died.

The Blue Knights, comprised of active and retired police officers, hold an annual rally in Culpeper Labor Day weekend.

Sgt. Andy Berry investigated the crash. Dodson’s court date in Culpeper County has not yet been set.