Williams pleads guilty to sex charges

Prosecution to seek 25-year jail sentence in May

A Huntly man charged with 22 counts of various sexual abuse crimes pleaded guilty Tuesday afternoon (Feb. 25) to three counts of intercourse with a child under 13 in Rappahannock County Circuit Court.

A sizeable crowd packed the courtroom to hear 49-year-old Ray Anthony Williams’ guilty pleas, including nine members of the West Virginia chapter of the Bikers Against Child Abuse. The international motorcycle club’s members — dressed Tuesday in their leather club colors with their names, including Raven and Yankee, embroidered on — attend court hearings around the country, often riding out to escort the victims from their homes, in an effort to help young abuse victims feel safe.

Summarizing evidence for the court, Commonwealth’s Attorney Art Goff reiterated that Williams, beginning in July 2007, had sexual intercourse with one of his daughters “two to three times a week” after the other children had been sent to bed. The abuse began when she was 11, Goff said, and continued through June of last year.

When questioned by Capt. J.C. Welch, then the Rappahannock County Sheriff’s Office (RCSO) chief investigator, Williams admitted to the charges, but claimed he was the victim and that his daughter “made him do it.”

As part of a plea agreement, the other 18 felony charges — including incest, aggravated sexual battery and intercourse with a child under 13 — will be dropped when Williams is sentenced on May 27. According to the agreement, Goff will be asking the court to sentence Williams to 65 years in jail (with 40 suspended).

Eisenmann to serve four years, stepfather 10 months

Davis Winfield Eisenmann, previously charged with three counts of possession — for oxycodone, a firearm and marijuana — and two counts of manufacturing marijuana, was sentenced to four years in jail last Thursday (Feb. 20) in circuit court, the 23-year-old having pleaded guilty to one manufacturing charge and one count of possessing a firearm.

Summarizing evidence for the court back in July, Goff said that Eisenmann robbed a pharmacy in Prince William County last Aug. 1, taking several items, including oxycodone, a controlled substance.

Goff said that the sheriff’s departments of Prince William and Rappahannock counties searched Eisenmann’s home on Aug. 5, finding an indoor marijuana growing operation in the basement. Police collected 21 marijuana plants, as well as several small bags throughout the house. The stolen oxycodone, Goff said, was found in the kitchen, while a 9mm pistol was discovered in Eisenmann’s bedroom.

Before sentencing Thursday, Eisenmann’s mother, Tracy Eisenmann, testified on her son’s behalf, admitting that he did have an opiate addiction but adding that she had seen a difference in him since entering rehab in Prince William County. She, along with defense attorney Mark Bailey, argued for “the least sentence possible” so that Eisenmann could continue in his recovery.

Just prior to his sentencing, Eisenmann read a short statement to Judge Jeffrey W. Parker and the court. “I have learned more about myself [in rehab] than I have in 23 years [of my life] . . . For a long time, I thought drugs made me who I was . . . I am confident I will succeed in recovery.”

Special prosecutor Heather Hovermale, however, pointed out that Eisenmann already “has a support system in place, and it didn’t work. He’s already been given generous consideration,” she added, and asked Parker for more than just probation.

“You’ve said all the right things so far Mr. Eisenmann,” Parker began, “and I hope you mean them. But when you come in here with baggage, I’m going to sentence you accordingly . . . However, I am going to take into account your age and the possibility that you might change.”

Parker then sentenced Eisenmann to three years on the possession charge and 12 years on the manufacturing charge (9 years suspended) — sentences to be served consecutively. Parker also placed him on probation for six years (supervised for the first four).

Eisenmann’s stepfather, Miguel Zamudio, 42, of Castleton, was also sentenced to 10 months in jail Tuesday. Zamudio entered an Alford plea to one charge of manufacturing marijuana in September, the plea indicating that the defendant admits enough evidence exists to likely convict him but does not admit guilt (although the court considers it a guilty plea).

Goff said that deputies from Rappahannock and Prince William County searched Zamudio’s house on Aug. 5, 2012 while looking for his stepson, who was wanted in connection with the pharmacy robbery in Prince William County.

During the search, Goff said authorities discovered a false door in the basement, which led to a marijuana growing station with 21 plants, each roughly two feet high. Goff said Zamudio cooperated fully with the RCSO afterward, admitting he gave the seeds to Eisenmann and intended to grow the plants and use the marijuana with his family.

Zamudio asked Parker to authorize home electronic monitoring in lieu of jail time, as he still had a successful small business — Zamudio Tree Service — to run. His attorney David Downes pointed out that Zamudio, who has run the business since 1994, didn’t have a typical “9 to 5 job” and would be forced to close if he were incarcerated.

“I’m not real sympathetic to your situation here, honestly,” said Parker. “When you commit felonies, you find out bad things happen . . . I could put a TV and a phone in your cell and make it just like home, but I’m not going to do that . . . Instead, I’m going to have you remanded as soon as I’m finished with this sentence. That’s what’s I’m going to do.”

Parker then sentenced Zamudio to five years in jail (all but 10 months suspended), placed him on probation for four years (two years supervised) and suspended his license for six months. Zamudio was then remanded into RCSO custody.

Jail time suspended for Pullen

Rocky Lee Pullen, who pleaded guilty in November to a felony charge of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, was also sentenced Tuesday.

In November, Goff said that last April 14 Pullen had taken a 1987 Chevrolet Blazer belonging to his parents, Karen and Roy Lee Pullen of Washington. Described as a “restoration project” and Roy’s “pride and joy,” Goff said the 24-year-old Pullen didn’t have permission to drive the vehicle.

Not long after taking the vehicle, Goff said Pullen hit a tree on Keyser Run Road, resulting in $3,600 worth of damage. Speed was the primary cause of the crash, Goff said, and though alcohol “was a factor,” Pullen wasn’t charged with a DUI because more than three hours had passed between its consumption and his arrest.

Pullen’s girlfriend, Rhonda Higgins, testified that Pullen “has become a new person” since seeking counseling for his admitted drinking problem, added that he now has a steady job working five days a week and asked Parker for leniency.

“This is your second go-round here, Mr. Pullen, and I’m inclined to lower the boom on you,” Parker said. He acquiesced somewhat, however, sentencing Pullen to three years in jail and suspending all of it, placing him on probation for four years (two years supervised) and ordering him to attend AA meetings. Parker also cautioned Pullen that any alcohol consumption whatsoever would count as a probation violation.

Other circuit court cases

Tuesday morning (Feb. 25), 19-year-old Jeremy Dylan Newcamp, of Castleton, pleaded guilty to one count each of assault and battery, grand larceny and entering a structure with the intent to commit larceny, as well as unlawfully possessing a firearm.

Summarizing evidence for the court, Goff said that Amissville resident Charles Dodson testified that on April 22 he awoke to find the door of his shed — in which he kept five shotguns — slightly ajar. The door’s padlock had been cut and the guns removed, he said.

RCSO investigator Welch said he later recovered the guns in the woods behind Amissville resident Rayland Brown’s house. Brown, who testified in August in exchange for full immunity, said he drove Newcamp to Dodson’s property and provided trash bags for Newcamp to wrap the guns. Newcamp’s sentencing is scheduled for May 27.

Kenneth Lee Harmon, of Luray, pleaded guilty to driving under the influence (DUI), his third offense within five years and thus a felony.

Summarizing evidence, Goff said that RCSO deputy Chris Ubben clocked Harmon driving 82 mph on U.S. 211 on Nov. 16. The 47-year-old veered off to the right side of the road, after which Ubben pulled him over. Goff said Harmon pulled into Hillsdale, and, after first denying he’d had anything to drink, became “belligerent” and refused any field sobriety tests. Goff then added that Harmon eventually calmed down, admitting that “he shouldn’t have been drinking.”

As per a plea agreement, Judge Herman A. Whisenant sentenced Harmon to three years in jail (all but six months suspended), placed him on supervised probation for two years, fined him $1,000 and suspended his license indefinitely. Harmon was then remanded into RCSO custody.

DUI arrest

On Feb. 14, RCSO Deputy Cody Dodson arrested Douglas Delozier, 49, of Huntly, and charged him with driving under the influence. His arrest came as the result of a traffic stop on U.S. 522 near U.S. 211.