Clark Hollow Ramblings: Talking about the weather

Last week, on Tuesday, we had just about 5½ inches of rain at our house. Talk about a frog strangler, I don’t know when I ever saw it rain so hard for so long. One room in our house, which was originally a carport, then a day room that we modified somewhat to make it an all-season TV room, got swamped. The carpet in that room has a heavy foam backing, and what a mess we had.

We worked on it into the night, moving furniture and using the wet-vac, but it was coming in faster than we could get it up. The only relief came when it stopped raining so hard. We have used a dehumidifier, heaters and fans and have just about got it back to acceptable. You just keep plugging away at it, and do what you gotta do.

Our son, who lives up in the mountains, called that night to say the road to his house was completely washed out at a culvert, and could we meet them there in the morning to take the kids to school and him to work. We said yes, of course.

Early the next morning he called to say that the highway crew had fixed the road during the night. Thank you, kind highway workers, for your good work during the night. There are a number of fine folks who live above that washout, and I know they all join me in saying thanks.

Then, the weekend came. The forecasts were all over the map. We didn’t know whether to expect another hours-long downpour, or a little light drizzle. By noon on Friday, we had another half-inch in the rain gauge, and it looked like we might dodge the bullet. It was up to a full inch by dark on Friday and Saturday morning it was reading 1½ inches.

On Sunday morning it was just over 2 inches. Best of all, though, the last of that rain fell slowly, and we didn’t suffer any further damage. Still, 7½ inches of rain over five or six days was a lot. I hope you didn’t have any major problems.

I want you to keep Bob Miloslavich and Frank Huff in your prayers. They are both on the mend from surgery. Frank’s ankle continues to give him problems and Bob had major surgery on his back and is in a recuperative mode, and will be for awhile. Let’s hope their recoveries go well and they are out and about before long. Come on, guys, get well. The trail ride is coming up and your help is needed.

At a small dinner party we hosted last week, Karen Williams came in carrying a gallon of cider from Williams’ orchard. With that and a few golden delicious apples Linda and I picked down at Lee’s Orchard near Massies Corner and a few Yorks from the old Jones orchard, we are just about set for the winter, as far as apples are concerned. We used the rainy days to make applesauce and apple butter.

Now, if Bob Day doesn’t kill all the deer with his bow and arrow, there may be one left for me when black powder season comes in. And if you see my pickup truck coming through Flint Hill dragging a big buck behind it, you will know I got one but wasn’t able to get him in the pickup bed. You gotta do what you gotta do, my friends. Until next time, stay warm and dry.

Richard Brady
About Richard Brady 150 Articles
Richard Brady was born and raised within sight of Rappahannock Peak, as was his father, grandfather, great-grandfather, great-great-grandfather, etc. He graduated from George Mason University and was employed for 35 years with various agencies of the federal government. He retired in 2001, and he and his wife, Linda, live in Flint Hill, Va.