Down Memory Lane for May 19

June 29, 1950

Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Jenkins will open their new restaurant and pool room, “Washington Cafe,” Saturday morning, July 1, in Washington, across Main Street from the post office.

The Cafe, completely redecorated, will be open daily to serve regular meals, short orders, and sandwiches. The new Cafe will have booths, tables and counters.

The pool room, downstairs, will be open during the day as well as evening hours.

Two years ago Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins closed their sandwich shop on Middle Street, and Mrs. Jenkins’ reputation for fine cooking is well remembered by the community.

Beginning Saturday, July 1, the Washington Cooperative Fruit Growers, Inc. will be under new management, as voted by the stockholders in a meeting June 16. The directors appointed C. E. Johnson Jr., manager and L. J. Kilby, sales manager, Mrs. B. M. Miller is bookkeeper.

The board of directors, as elected by the stockholders were: J. A. Keyser, C. J. Miller, J. E. Yates, Downing Wood, and W. C. Campbell.

Rappahannock Co-op Fruit Growers, Inc., was organized in 1936 and began packing in 1937.

Irving Sisk and Charlie Jenkins returned from Roanoke Friday night with the fire truck of the Rappahannock Volunteer Fire Company, where repairs had been completed to put the truck in first-class condition.

With a new motor formerly installed, new hose purchased, and this trip to Roanoke to have the pump overhauled, the fire truck is now pronounced in A-1 working order.

They state that they might have enjoyed the trip to Roanoke more if it hadn’t started raining before they hit Lynchburg. They do not recommend riding in an open fire truck in the pouring-down rain as a form of a pleasant sight-seeing trip. They arrived in Roanoke looking like a pair of drowned rats.

Jan. 3,1985

A Gay Street building in Washington that has been used as an auction house and a grocery store is now being put to yet another use. Kramer and Eiland Woodworking has already begun to operate in the building, and there are more plans for the structure.

Peter Kramer bought the building in May, and began renovation work in July. A slanted roof was added with windows and patio doors for the new upper floor that will be rented as office space when completed.

The building has three floors in all, and the middle area is currently being used by Kramer and Eiland Woodworking. The only part of the operation that has yet to be moved into the building is wood finishing. The display windows in the front of the building will be used for showing Peter Kramer Cabinetmaker furniture.

Kathleen Schilling, the former Director of children’s education at St. Luke’s Church in McLean, Va., has been chosen to succeed Camille Harris as the Executive Director of the Child Care and Learning Center of Washington, Va. Schilling was appointed by the Center’s 12-member board and she assumed her duties December 27.

The transition takes place after 9 years of diligent service by Camille Harris who founded the Center — originally an elementary school — and presided over its development.

Adding excitement to optimism are plans to begin building in April a new building for the Center, which now is located in a farmhouse off Rt. 211 on Rt. 626. The new site will be on Rt. 211, just outside of Washington. Baring fund-raising problems-always a threat-the new facility is tentatively scheduled for completion in September.

First Washington’s Museum, in Washington, the only museum in Rappahannock County, is the subject of an article in the January issue of Country, the mid-Atlantic regional monthly magazine.

Ruby Jenkins, who owns a private collection of historical artifacts of Rappahannock, named the museum “First Washington’s because the town was the first town in the U.S. to be named after George Washington.

The name is doubly appropriate because Washington himself laid out the streets of the town in 1749 while working as a surveyor for Culpeper County.

“This is a very personal museum. I’ve been collecting what other people threw away all my life,” Jenkins told Country. “I wanted local people, especially young people, to know about their historical heritage.”

The museum is a renovated tavern that Jenkins’ father bought in 1920. It includes and Eighteenth-Nineteenth-Century kitchen, an early Nineteenth-Century school room, and a “Historic” room which contains memorabilia from the area from the time of the Manahoac Indians to the present.

Sept. 10, 1997

It was maybe the best-kept secret in Rappahannock until Saturday night. That was when Rappahannock Historical Society President Doug Baumgardner announced it to the crowd at the society’s fundraiser.

That was when the society found out it has an anonymous donor who has given them $250,000.

Most of the members present admitted they were flabbergasted by the news. They were also ecstatic.

The money will be used, per the donor’s wishes, to purchases a site and start a new building which will house the historical society, the museum and a county visitor’s center, Mr. Baumgardner told the crowd of about 75 gathered at his home where the event was held.

“This is like manna from heaven,” Mr. Baumgardner said of the gift. “It was hard to keep secret but that was one of the conditions of the donation.”

Mr. Charles Shepherd, environmental health manager and supervisor of the Virginia Department of Health’s 9th District, confirmed that a comprehensive sanitation survey is being planned for the town of Washington. The survey will be conducted jointly with an income survey by the Southeast Area Regional Community Assistance Project this fall.

The town council, the survey team and other specialists will work together on the project. This joint effort is expected to produce valuable information for the town’s long-range planning process and use in resolving critical wastewater issues.

A team of 10 to 15 experts in environmental health, engineering, soils management, social services, and related disciplines will canvass households and businesses door to door collecting important data. Because surveys are tailored to the particular needs of each community, forms are not yet available, though many of the questions are standardized.

The first annual Rappahannock Rough Ride, a charity bicycle tour, is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30 at the Trinity Episcopal Church in Washington.

Each rider will receive a T-shirt, a water bottle and a chance to win a dinner for two at The Inn at Little Washington, world famous for its food and service.

Rest stops will be located at the Laurel Mills Store and the Episcopal Church.

Proceeds from the Rappahannock Rough Ride will benefit the Fauquier Free Clinic which serves Rappahannock and Fauquier residents.